Speaker Series WN2020

Feb. 6th, Prof. Ben safdi

Title: The Search for Axion Dark Matter

Abstract:

Dark matter is one of the most outstanding mysteries facing modern physics and astronomy. While the astrophysical nature of dark matter is now well characterized, the microscopic composition and origin of dark matter remains completely obscure. My research focuses on the quest to understand dark matter from a microscopic perspective. I will describe some of my research on attempts to construct a laboratory experiment, called ABRACADABRA, to look for one of the better-motivated dark matter candidates called the axion. I will also try to give some insight into my career path and what it is like being junior faculty.

Feb. 20th, Prof. Josh Spitz

Title: Taking a Picture of a Neutrino

Abstract:

You can't see them but they're everywhere. About 65 billion just passed through your fingernail in the past second. Indeed, the neutrino is the most ghostly of our fundamental particles. We've known about the existence of neutrinos for over 80 years, and yet their mysterious nature continues to confound us. This talk will discuss the importance of the neutrino in particle physics and cosmology and present how one can take a picture of a neutrino.

Mar. 19th, Prof. Qiong Yang (biophysics)

Area: Biophysics of Living Systems

Apr. 2nd, Prof. Liliana Borcea (Mathematics)

Area: Applied Mathematics and Electromagnetic Inverse Problems